Do I need someone to manage my website for me?
You are thinking about building a website for your business OR you already have a website and you are thinking, “Do I need someone to manage my website for me?“
The answer depends entirely on you.
Are you in the business of creating, editing, maintaining websites?
Are you going to focus your time in developing and delivering your products & services to your customers?
You need to find out what is involved and which things that may affect your decision about whether or not you need someone to manage your website for you.
Website Management for Small Business
While keeping the content updated and fresh is crucial to the online presence, much of the website maintenance is related to keeping everything “under the hood” running at optimum levels, some maintenance is crucial to the security of your website.
Every website, whether WordPress or not, has a lot of “moving parts” behind the scene. Unless you are using an online website builder paid monthly service, the maintenance of your self-hosted WordPress website is your responsibility to arrange.
We have compiled a checklist of daily, weekly, monthly and yearly WordPress website maintenance tasks.
Daily Website Maintenance Tasks
- Uptime Monitoring
- Security Monitoring
- Website & Database Backups
Weekly Website Maintenance Tasks
- Plugin / Theme Updates
- Visual Inspection
- Moderate Spam Comments
Monthly Website Maintenance Tasks
- Clean Junk/Old data from Database
- Remove Unnecessary Users (WordPress Site Health will remind you of this)
- Delete Unused Themes and Plugins (WordPress Site Health will remind you of this)
- Test Loading Time
- Search for Broken Links
- Check for Search Console Errors/Issues
Annual Website Maintenance Tasks
- Review WordPress Setup
- Update underlying CMS Software
Are WordPress monthly maintenance packages worth it?
Technically speaking, all of these activities are accessible through reading online documentation and acquiring practical experience, allowing anyone to become proficient at all of these more technical tasks.
But ask yourself…Do I have time to do this? Most professionals don’t. Your business relies on you to do lots of things… but learning all aspects of website management is likely not one of them.
Engaging a professional to manage your website is probably a better option than doing it yourself for many reasons. It’s their full time job to know all of the required skills and to keep up to date on changes and advancements in all the necessary areas.
Also consider those times when a situation with a website is an emergency:
- Your website just isn’t working. When users visit it they just get a blank screen or an error message.
- Your website is hacked and is redirecting users to to a malicious website, or is showing some unwanted messages.
- You have important information that needs to be added to your website very quickly
- You have inaccurate or out-of-date information that needs to be removed from your website very quickly
Usually the most critical website issues require extreme urgency. Ask yourself if that’s the time you want to be trying to figure out where to go to address the problem, how to gain access when you get there, and how to do what you need to to when you finally get access to the correct system.
In that time of need you want to know that there is one call or email you can make to have the issue resolved.
What we offer you:
- Includes all of the above.
- You update the website content and we will keep your website's underlying engine humming along, under the hood.
- Includes all of the above, plus website content updates.
- You can focus on running your business, while we keep your website updated and the underlying engine humming along, under the hood.
So…Do you need someone to manage your website for you?
When you consider what a website issue can mean, from loss of business to damage to your reputation, your answer to the question “Do I Need Someone to Manage My Website for Me?”, should probably almost always be YES.
To view a range of website examples, click here.
For further information, please contact us.